Proof that metal birds once ruled the skies

What is Scrine?

• Scrine is the home of lost, forgotten, and lonely sentences.

What are the rules?

• Play nice. Be kind. Post only single sentences.

• Scrine gives everyone plenty of rope to play with, but reminds everyone that even the longest rope is capable of hanging a person.

• Censorship is ugly, but still not the ugliest bird in the sky. Happily, this has never been necessary.

• The appropriateness of all sentences will remain the sole discretion of Scrine's tender.

Who can play?

• Anyone. Reading along costs nothing but time.

• Membership is required to post your own sentences. Joining is quick and painless.

• With membership comes the unique privilege of calling yourself a Scriner.

What about privacy?

• Your information will never be sold, given away, shared, or even traded for an unimaginably delicious slice of pie.

• The above sentence may be the only sentence on this site that is 100% true.

's notes

Use this space for notes and reminders to yourself.

This is a private space. Only you will see your notes.

Expiration date is not required, only if you want the note to magically disappear.

A great place to keep your fantastic ideas, like, "Hey! I need to write more sentences about crickets and English gentlemen with unruly beards."

Please Choose

Enjoy the Benefits!

• Sentences worth shaking a stick at.

• Useful duck information.

• Free pancakes at participating restaurants.

Member Log In

Username:

Password:

Remember me

Show my name in the online users list

Lost your password?

Become a Scriner!

Username:

Email:

A password will be e-mailed to you.

Logged In

Lolita کی، میری زندگی کا نور، میری کمر کی آگ :: 'mouse :: 9
    TAGS: Lolita, translation

Urdu at first seemed an ulikely language into which to translate the works of Nabakov.

October 1, 2016 at 4:14 PM
'mouse's avatar

Seriously though, other than being written the wrong direction - right to left instead of left to right - I wonder how well Google translated that.

Running it through Urdu, then Chinese and back to English, we get “Lolita, the light of my life, the waist of my fire,” so perhaps it isn’t too mangled.

'mouse on 10/01/16 at 08:32 AM
'mouse's avatar

And one more thing - Chief, you have done an amazing job cleaning up the place and remodeling. Popping into “Alphabetti Spaghetti” and finding the prior-sentence prompt made my day!  And Purple Prose looks fun.  And so much more.  Now if only we can scare up a following without resorting to promoting in Zuckerberg’s evil lair.

Maybe what Scrine needs is an app.  Or a podcast.  Or a shoutout on Reddit.  Hmmm…

Or maybe it should remain a secret clubhouse.  The peacefulness is nice in its own way.

'mouse on 10/01/16 at 08:39 AM

I seem to remember there being some type of Podcast, yanno before they called them that….but then my memory isn’t what it used to be.  It’s only Google and unlimited data keeping me out of the nursing home now.

Goliard on 10/01/16 at 11:34 AM
boot's avatar

I would take part in a podcast. I have no idea how, but damn, it must be possible. Right? I am a podcast addicts (and have been since before they called them that).

Do you listen to many, ‘mouse?

boot on 10/01/16 at 02:32 PM
'mouse's avatar

I’ve lately gotten pretty addicted:
- This American Life
- The Moth
- Death, Sex and Money
- Note to Self
- Radiolab
Not exactly a traditional podcast, but I’ve been listening to Coffee Break Spanish and lately have started trying Coffee Break Italian. In order to get them Google their name plus “lesson number X” and you can still get directly to the lessons without going thru their site which tries not to be free these days.
Suggestions for me, anyone?

'mouse on 10/01/16 at 06:36 PM

Rock and Roll Manifesto and Red Red wine on a Sunday are my recent favorites (it’s the only way I can get radio sitting next to the lead x-ray wall at work).

Goliard on 10/02/16 at 12:43 AM
boot's avatar

I adore RadioLab. I’ve listened to all of the others, but more on and off. I don’t catch all the eps of This American Life, but I listen a lot. I mean, come on: Ira Glass!

Okay: Reply All, Mystery Show, The Allusionist, Nocturne, Welcome to Nightvale, 99PI.

There are a million others that I love. But that’s a good opening gambit. Let me know if you want others or particularly loved. I am a complete podcast addict.

boot on 10/02/16 at 02:44 AM

que tiene el tequila en su escritorio

Goliard on 10/02/16 at 07:45 AM
'mouse's avatar

thanks to both of you for the new podcasts. I will try ‘em all.

'mouse on 10/03/16 at 06:17 PM